10 Facts About Chihuahuas
Chihuahuas have become a popular fashion statement in our culture. Celebrities carry them around in their purses and movies are made about them.
Before you rush out and buy a Chihuahua you should know these ten facts.
1. The first fact to know about Chihuahuas is that Chihuahuas need lots of attention. You should be prepared to play games, interact, and talk to your dog. Chihuahuas are a very social breed of dog and they bond strongly with their owners. They are not dogs that enjoy being alone at home all day.
2. Chihuahuas will compete with your children for attention. These dogs have a low tolerance for noise, even though they are able to make a din of their own. You should also know that Chihuahuas can be biters. While they do not inflict serious damage most of the time, it is not a breed that makes sense if you have young children.
3. Chihuahuas don’t like changing homes. They are happy living their lives in one place. So, if you are a highly mobile family, you should consider a different breed. If you do move homes, you should be prepared for it to take some time for your dog to settle in it’s new location.
4. Chihuahuas don’t like other pets in the home. Goldfish might be the one exception. Any other animals competing for your attention and your Chihuahua will not be happy. Chihuahuas often stand up to dogs twice their size. You should be prepared for a lot of fights if you have other pets in the home.
5. Contrary to the images that celebrities project with their “pocket pets,” Chihuahuas don’t like to be carried around. They enjoy running, walking, and playing, not being a fashion accessory.
6. Chihuahuas do not travel well. If you are going across country in either a car or aeroplane, expect problems from your pooch as they do not like being confined to a carrier.
7. Chihuahuas like their personal space. The dog is very territorial and can dominate its space. You should expect the breed to be quite aggressive if a family member intrudes on what the dog has defined as his or her space.
8. Chihuahuas can jump. You will be surprised at just how much trouble a Chihuahua can get into in your kitchen! They can jump more than two feet from a standing position. Keep this in mind when you are stocking shelves.
9. Chihuahuas get cold very easily. One thing every owner should know about Chihuahuas is that their short hair and bony frame means that they don’t retain heat well. If you live in a cold climate, buy sweaters and coats to keep them warm. Also, give them a warm bed with blankets if needed. If they’re cold, they can throw a tantrum.
10. The Chihuahua is highly strung. To keep him or her in line, it is important to keep their most common personality traits in mind when making training decisions. Before buying a Chihuahua, know as much about the dog’s background as possible.
Remember these 10 things about Chihuahuas before you make the decision to buy one.
Buy at AllPosters.com