Well Meaning Gifts Can Be Dangerous
Just because you bought your dog’s toy from a pet store doesn’t mean it is safe.
One of the reasons that toys prove dangerous is because of the way dogs eat. Rather than chewing their food dogs tend to tear off chunks and swallow them whole.
Veterinary surgeon Dr. Payne saved his own dog Molly from a near miss. The black Lab jealously chomped a cow hoof in half and swallowed it to prevent another dog from getting it.
Fortunately Molly was in professional hands. But cow hooves remain a potentially dangerous gift for your dog.
Dr. Payne says there are other more dangerous toys you can give your dog. Top of his list of toys not to buy is the popular Rawhide. He says they are one of the most common objects extracted from dogs.
The Rawhides get stuck in the stomach and sometimes in the oesophagus because they are so rigid.
With any toy the secret is matching the correctly sized toy to your dog. Any toy that is the wrong size can be dangerous.
Dogs that are known to chomp and chew a lot can turn a toy into a hazard in a matter of minutes. If you give a dog like this a toy you should keep a close watch on it.
If you see your dog vomiting or having difficulty going to the toilet you should get it checked out. Early diagnosis can save your dogs life.
Buy at AllPosters.com